[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 20:24:31 UTC 2019

Am Di., 12. Nov. 2019 um 14:15 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> from the description, light meals aren’t a hard requirement, or it could
>> be seen as satisfied by selling cakes (or ice cream cups in the case of
>> cuisine =ice_cream):
>>

> I suspect that, over the years, people have forced things into cafe
> because it came closest
> to what they wanted without having to create a new value and then somebody
> later documented
> it.  Or people bring different cultural assumptions to the term "cafe."

its both, people bring different cultural assumptions for the term "cafe"
and hence have amended the page, likely the Germans ;-)

In Italy, a very common place to go for breakfast is called "bar". Italian
bars often do not provide seating, you will eat your cornetto / croissant
standing in front of an espresso and leave within a few minutes. They might
change during the day (offer simple lunch, and some may be open at night
and serve alcohol and aperitifs, others won't and will close). It is also
common that they sell tobacco and lotto / scratch cards, public transport
tickets and allow for payments (electricity and water bills, etc.).
Personally I tag them as "bar" if they do not provide table service (and
usually only have few tables if any) and as cafe if there is table service
(and usually more things to eat). IMHO a cafe is a place to stay, a bar (at
least the italian ones) is a place to drink a coffee and then go away.

As there are already significant differences between bars, pubs, cafes
within Europe, imagine how the situation will be globally.

> Question.  You've had a busy day.  No time to eat breakfast or lunch.
> You're hungry.  You're
> in a strange town.  You're looking for somewhere to eat.  You look at the
> map for cafes.
> Would you be happy if you went to one and it sold only ice cream or only
> cake?

I definitely would not look for a cafe if I would be looking for something
to eat fast. Maybe I would in the UK, now that I've read your comments ;-)

> Questions.  We already have tags that can distinguish between a shop
> selling ice cream
> to take out and a place with tables and seats where you buy ice cream to
> eat inside
> (possibly with a takeaway option).  What purpose does it serve to collapse
> these into
> a single tag?  What purpose does it serve to replace one of them with a
> cafe?

I am not sure what you would want to replace, but I am often adding
amenity=ice_cream and shop=ice_cream to be sure. Cafe and cuisine is what I
would use for places like the one I have posted the link above, and it is
among the mostly used tags for ice cream according to taginfo, much more
than shop.

Cheers,
Martin