[Tagging] Open Voting on Access Aisle

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:37:40 UTC 2019

Thanks Clifford,

I've tried to use your tagging system in an area close where I live. You
can find here the way (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/746061718) and
here a picture from Google Streetview
(https://www.google.it/maps/@45.428055,11.791072,3a,25.2y,347.58h,76.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc04-aTnZlGZiu4i3Pm0Czw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656).
Is this what you're proposing?

I think a few mapping examples could help in better understanding the
proposal.

On 16/11/19 17:17, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 11:22 PM Alessandro Sarretta
> <alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com <mailto:alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>

>     There are a couple of things that are not totally clear to me:
>
>       * in general, might these tags apply also to areas, rather than
>         only ways?
>
> We already have highway=pedestrian. Are you suggesting that we also
> have highway=pedestrian + pedestrian=access_aisle? I probably wouldn't
> map an access aisle as an area but I'd be interested in hearing more.

No Clifford, I'm wondering if the area of the access_aisle could be
mapped as an independent area (polygon instead of line), aside of the
parking_space area.

>       * I am a bit confused by /accessible_van/. Does it refer to vans
>         instead of cars? In this case I think it is not an information
>         related to the aisle, but to the parking_space. If it is still
>         for disabled persons, shouldn't it be access_aisle=disabled
>         anyway?
>
> Vans can be equipped with either ramps or lifts to load and unload
> wheelchairs.  The ramps and lifts require an extra wide space, in the
> US, it's 8 feet, about 2.4 meters. These vans are quite common in the
> US. I haven't seen any cars similarly equipped.

If the aisle is for disabled people, I'd use access_aisle=disabled.
Maybe we can add some quantitative details as width=* to describe the
extra space.

Ale