[Tagging] Business which sells static caravans / mobile homes: shop=mobile_home or shop=static_caravan?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 01:42:00 UTC 2019

There are places in the USA where you can buy a "mobile home" which is
meant to be semi-permanently installed in one place, unlike an "RV"
which is meant for camping in different places. I believe these are
called "static caravans" in Britain, and there is a tag
"building=static_caravan" for the installed feature, also known
colloquially as a "trailer" (USA), "caravan" (Britain), or
"manufactured home" (only really used in advertising by the industry).

In the USA small ones are "single-wide" if they can be moved in 1
piece, but you can get a "double-wide" or "triple-wide" manufactured
house, which is moved in 2 or 3 pieces and has to be reassembled at
the site where it is installed. These bigger ones usually get a
foundation, but the smaller cheap ones are often left up on wheels or
concrete blocks.

Right now there is a page documenting "shop=mobile_home" which is used
only 14 times -

But is seems like this isn't the right terminology in British English.
What would be better? shop=static_caravan perhaps?

- Joseph Eisenberg

More information about the Tagging mailing list