[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - footway=link

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 19:21:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 11:22, Allroads <allroadsworld at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then there is a tag as placement=transition.
>
> This have also a kind of connection link function.
>
> [...]
>
> If we think about it further, where more does this tag fit?

The two tags are similar, but different:

The key placement gives information about the placement of a highway=*
way relative to the lanes. placement=transition means that the
placement is changing along the highway=* way. It doesn't say whether
the highway=* way is part of the carriageway of another highway=*. (It
can, e.g. when the road forks, but it doesn't have to, e.g. when the
road doesn't fork but the number of lanes changes.)

In contrast, *=link (or *=connection or how will finally be called)
means that the highway=* way is located inside the carriageway of
another highway=* way and thus has no length or doesn't really exist.
It is only used to connect the roads or paths to make routing
possible.

Regards

Markus