[Tagging] How to tag earth walls in a shooting ramge

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:10:41 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 06:18, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

It looks like the original question is about man-made earth slopes,

That's how I interpreted the original question.

however, and these are usually tagged man_made=embankment, with the
> line at the top of the slope as previously mentioned.

Things get messy in the interface between OSM, the real world, and how we
think
about things.  I generally think of embankments in connection with
railways, where
they raise the level of the track.  They're not to stop things passing from
one side to
the other, just a cheap alternative to a bridge or other structure.
However, the slopes
discussed here are designed to stop bullets passing from one side to
another, so they're
functioning as walls.  Then again, I've mapped several archaeological sites
with
earthen walls which are referred to by archaeologists as embankments.

Note also that, in civil engineering, retaining walls made of earth are a
thing.  See
this video explaining mechanically stabilized earth walls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc

--
Paul