[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pedestrian lane

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 22:17:51 UTC 2019

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 at 21:52, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is true, but mapping sidewalks with separate ways isn't
> unproblematical either, especially if there aren't any marked
> crosswalks: mapping unmarked crossings is often impossible because not
> verifiable, but not mapping crossings results in disconnected
> sidewalks.

Depends on jurisdiction too (if I'm following all this correctly, which I
may not be).  In
some jurisdictions, crossing is legal only at specified crossings and they
tend to
be frequent.  In other jurisdictions, like the UK, crossing is legal almost
anywhere, but
there may also be (infrequent) designated crossings.

I'm a little worried we could end up with the situation in the UK where it
is legal for me to
cross the road where I am but the routeing engine tells me I have to walk a
mile to a
designated crossing then walk a mile back.  That can probably be solved by
adding
jurisdiction heuristics to routeing engines.  But it needs to be thought
about before
we paint ourselves into any corners.

--
Paul