[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:09:05 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 08:30, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

I am not at all happy with "berm". It is unfortunately a term used for a
> number of different things all related to earthworks.

It appears that the technical term for the part of the range which the shot
impacts is known
as the butts or a backstop.  See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_range#Butts_/_backstop
Butts/backstop applies to earthen mounds on outdoor ranges and metal plates
on indoor
ranges.  Elsewhere on the page it mentions the term "mound" several times
to refer to the
earthen butts/backstop on an outdoor range, but "mound" may be a simple
descriptive term rather
than a technical one.  It is also the case that, as far as OSM is
concerned, "mound" may be
as confusing (or even more confusing) as berm.

As far as British Englsh goes, one shooting club site I've found refers to
"stop butts" and
"butt stops" which makes sense given
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/butt#Etymology_1

Given https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/berm and the way the proposal is
written, "berm" may be
as good as it gets.  We could always subtag it...

--
Paul