[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:31:05 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 13:11, Tony OSM <tonyosm9 at gmail.com> wrote:

A earthwork raised element which has an armoured side seems to be a
> revetment - I can see no use of this in OSM., but it is in many books about
> castles and fortifications.

When it comes to castles, a revetment is essentially a retaining wall that
is part of the
fortification and an ordinary fortification wall is often referred to as a
curtain wall.  An earthen
bank (with no wall) that is part of a fortification (such as a motte and
bailey) is an embankment.
Purists will object to my simplifications, I expect.

> In my view earthworks in general could do with analysis to agree terms and
> usage, they do occur in many places and are large mappable features.

Cans of worms are never large enough. :)

--
Paul