[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Tony OSM tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:08:19 UTC 2019

How do we know that 61 precious uses of the word berm all meant the
same? without verifying each one .

The english wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berm allows

  * the level step element of raised barrier
  * raised element without a level element

An earthwork raised element with a way on top seems to be an embankment.

A earthwork raised element which has an armoured side seems to be a
revetment - I can see no use of this in OSM., but it is in many books
about castles and fortifications.

In my view earthworks in general could do with analysis to agree terms
and usage, they do occur in many places and are large mappable features.

Tony

TonyS999