[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Marco Predicatori marco at predicatori.it
Thu Nov 28 09:20:31 UTC 2019

Jan Michel wrote on 11/28/19 8:56 AM:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> On 26.11.19 03:50, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Following the recent discussions of protective walls, I've created a page for
>> barrier=berm https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dberm
>
> I think it's a good idea to have a dedicated tag for this type of walls. I don't
> want to comment on the name - this is something native speakers should decide.
> But I have some comments:
>
> - We should have a defined way to tag the purpose of the berm - e.g. berm =
> noise_barrier
>
> - How do we separate berms and dams along rivers? Their physical appearance and
> structure is identical, only the purpose is different.
>
> - If mapped as a way, how is the width=* of the object defined? At the bottom?
> At half the height?

I'm not sure a mapper should be stopped by such details. Most of the times he
wouldn't be able to measure any width, or reliably determine the reasons for
which a berm was built. Does it hold water? Sure, if a nearby river overflows.
Does it stop sound? Always.

See a berm? Map it as such. You don't need to investigate whether inside there's
a shooting range or a nudist camp. Someone else might know, and tag the area. :-)

Bye, Marco