[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 11:42:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 10:56, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> OSM Carto, as far as I'm aware
>
>    - Doesn't have a concept of 2-sided embankments or a rendering for them
>
> Does it need such a concept?  I haven't tried it when the embankment
resembles an
arete, but for an embankment with a plateau all that is needed is two
embankments
delineating the plateau.  Some may want to relate them in some way, but
purely for
rendering they're two embankments spaced a little apart and sloping in
opposite
directions.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect superposing two embankments
facing in
opposite directions would handle an arete type of embankment (such as a
stop butt)
with no modifications required to the renderer.

>    -
>    - Doesn't have the concept of "on an embankment" being a modifier for
>    highways / railways in a similar way to "bridge" and "tunnel"

Wouldn't necessarily need one unless the plateau of the embankment were so
close
that the embankment would blot out the railway or the railway would blot
out the embankment.

---^---^---^---^---^

The usual answer here is "pull requests welcome"...

> Sometimes people might not want to do that because they know it wouldn't
> be accepted (if it makes more use of lua processing than the OSM Carto
> folks are happy with, for example).

Or because it is beyond the capabilities of the person who would like that
feature.

--
Paul