[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:42:56 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 11:42, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 10:56, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ajt1047 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     OSM Carto, as far as I'm aware
>
>       * Doesn't have a concept of 2-sided embankments or a rendering
>         for them
>
> Does it need such a concept?  I haven't tried it when the embankment
> resembles an
> arete, but for an embankment with a plateau all that is needed is two
> embankments
> delineating the plateau.

Tagging 2 things to represent 1 physical feature just makes it
extra-hard for anyone consuming the data.  They'd have to say "OK, I've
got a man_made=embankment here; now, before I decide what to do with it,
I have to see if there is another parallel one facing the other way that
tells me that what I've really got is a raised flood bank or similar"

We represent other linear features (e.g. roads) as lines; it makes sense
to do the same here.

Best Regards,

Andy