[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:00:09 UTC 2019

Am Do., 28. Nov. 2019 um 13:45 Uhr schrieb Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com
>:

> Tagging 2 things to represent 1 physical feature just makes it extra-hard
> for anyone consuming the data.  They'd have to say "OK, I've got a
> man_made=embankment here; now, before I decide what to do with it, I have
> to see if there is another parallel one facing the other way that tells me
> that what I've really got is a raised flood bank or similar"
>
> We represent other linear features (e.g. roads) as lines; it makes sense
> to do the same here.

there's a significant difference between roads and embankments, because
roads tend to keep the same width, while embankment often may have
different width along their way, so even if we do not want to tag them as
an area, having different geometry for the upper and lower border may make
sense.

And we also have situations where mapping roads (only) as linear ways is
not deemed appropriate, hence area:highway is proposed, e.g. in historic
city centers, for squares, etc.

Cheers
Martin