[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 14:02:54 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 13:03, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 12:45, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ajt1047 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Tagging 2 things to represent 1 physical feature just makes it
>     extra-hard for anyone consuming the data.
>

> Yet we have a very similar problem with "two things, two objects."  We
> make a tennis court
> surrounded by a fence two objects for good reasons.  But it is very
> difficult to subsequently
> edit those objects in some editors.  Not only may you not realize
> there are two objects, but
> there is no way (in some editors) of cycling through objects having
> all ways in common.
> The only way I've found is to split a node so I can move the node of
> one object away in
> order to be able to select between them, then put that node back when
> I've finished.
>
> It's a problem that shouldn't exist.  Fixable in the tool chain.

Please do explain how at rendering I can change what's in the data at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.22594/-0.48389 to something
more like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/359607456 so that at
anything less than z16 you don't just get a mess.  A rendering of the
latter one (with "emabankment=yes" in this case) can be seen at
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=14&lat=53.27001&lon=-0.77707
.

If you say "this is fixable in the tool chain" without actually being
able to explain how, then we'll have to assume that you actually don't
know how, and therefore don't know that it is actually "fixable" at
all.  That doesn't mean that it isn't, but it likely means that no-one
yet knows how without a lot of spatial stuff in the stylesheet (which
would be a bit of a nightmare).

And to pick up one other point:

On 28/11/2019 13:29, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> I have used in past a way with only one tag: embankment=yes to map
> small earth walls with nothing on top. I admit that I have not checked
> the rendering, but this seems to me a simple solution.

yes, these is one of the most common ways that people do this sort of
thing.  When I looked into this a while back (mostly in Ireland and the
UK) I came up with the list at
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L3086
.

Best Regards,