[Tagging] Barrier=berm

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 23:10:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 17:58, Jan Michel <jan at mueschelsoft.de> wrote:

> - We should have a defined way to tag the purpose of the berm - e.g.
> berm = noise_barrier

Yes, that would be good. I'm actually just thinking that it may be better
to move it to man_made= rather than barrier=, as you may get the situation
of barrier=berm + berm=barrier?

Bit premature I know!, but names for actual "types"? Guessing along the
lines of
=fortification for something like the Western Sahara wall
=flood-control
=noise-control
=pollution-control, all of which are fairly self-explanatory.

Walls around explosive dumps, shooting ranges & so on - =protective?

- How do we separate berms and dams along rivers? Their physical
> appearance and structure is identical, only the purpose is different.

True. A levee is (usually) a berm, while a dam could be, but a berm doesn't
*have* to be either a levee or a dam!

- If mapped as a way, how is the width=* of the object defined? At the
> bottom? At half the height?

Hadn't thought about that, as that section was copied directly from the
=embankment page!

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 18:53, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I get this right, a berm is defined through their shape, is describing
> a physical characteristic.

Not quite. A berm is basically just a pile of dirt. The dirt can be bare or
covered with grass, it can be moulded into different shapes, heights or
widths  / thicknesses, left loose or compacted, depending on the purpose
it's required for.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 20:01, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since a berm is a type of embankment, why not render it as an embankment?
>

> Others have proposed a berm=* subtag to differentiate types of berms.
> Why not, instead,
> use a subtag for embankments?

Thanks! That ties in with what I was thinking ^ of it being better coming
under man_made=, rather than barrier=

man_made=embankment (sloped wall) + embankment=berm (pile of dirt) +
berm="use" - fortification / protective / noise_control etc

That'll do for this post as it's turning into a novel!

Thanks

Graeme