[Tagging] New tag proposal: 'addr=milestone'

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:06:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 13:34, santamariense <imagens.sm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure about to keep "Km". It might be understandable by the
> key 'addr:milestone' itself.

It might.  OSM uses highway=milestone to mean a road marker in general,
rather than a traditional milestone (which was a stone with distances in
miles carved on it).  The OSM milestone may not have a distance marked
on it, but if the distance is given then it is assumed to be in kilometres
unless
a unit abbreviation follows.  So "9" would be 9 kilometres but "9 mi" would
be 9 miles.

I have to say that I think using "milestone" to mean a road marker that
isn't
a stone and probably isn't marked in miles was an incredibly bad idea.  But
we're stuck with it.  Even so, a default of kilometres for a thing called a
milestone is sub-optimal.

What I'm unclear on is if these addresses refer to an actual road
marker, or an actual distance based upon interpolation between
actual road markers.  If you have a road marker at 8km and another
road marker at 9km, would a house between the two have addr:milestone
8, 9 or 8.5?  If the address is of an actual road marker then addr:milestone
would be appropriate (given that we already misuse highway=milestone
to mean kilometre markers); if it's a distance that doesn't correspond to
an actual road marker then we need a better name.

--
Paul