[Tagging] New tag proposal: 'addr=milestone'

Aaron Young aaron at kaart.com
Tue Oct 1 17:42:21 UTC 2019

What I'm unclear on is if these addresses refer to an actual road
marker, or an actual distance based upon interpolation between
actual road markers.  If you have a road marker at 8km and another
road marker at 9km, would a house between the two have addr:milestone
8, 9 or 8.5?  If the address is of an actual road marker then addr:milestone
would be appropriate (given that we already misuse highway=milestone
to mean kilometre markers); if it's a distance that doesn't correspond to
an actual road marker then we need a better name.
I would expect the address:milestone=8.5 would be used.  This is something that can be determined by software and is not always written on signage but widely used.

There are also usages within the US for emergency response purposes.  Highway call boxes often use mile marker or milestone reference to determine location of incident.  US highways have milemarker signage every mile to assist with this purpose.  Utilizing it in address finding throughout the world is a needed tag in my opinion.

Aaron