[Tagging] New tag proposal: 'addr=milestone'

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 01:20:48 UTC 2019

The "milestone" value is a misnomer in most modern situations. Here in
Thailand, many roads have actual mile markers, er kilometer markers, but
they are not made of stone. They are painted concrete. In the U.S. there
are very few of these if any. When I'm tagging mile markers in the U.S., I
include a tag description=Metal flag

One of the things I love to map in Thailand are km=0 milestones which
denote the beginning of a numbered route. To date, I've added approximately
270 of these special milestones.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:43 AM Aaron Young <aaron at kaart.com> wrote:

> What I'm unclear on is if these addresses refer to an actual road
> marker, or an actual distance based upon interpolation between
> actual road markers.  If you have a road marker at 8km and another
> road marker at 9km, would a house between the two have addr:milestone
> 8, 9 or 8.5?  If the address is of an actual road marker then addr:milestone
> would be appropriate (given that we already misuse highway=milestone
> to mean kilometre markers); if it's a distance that doesn't correspond to
> an actual road marker then we need a better name.
>
> I would expect the address:milestone=8.5 would be used.  This is something
> that can be determined by software and is not always written on signage but
> widely used.
>
> There are also usages within the US for emergency response purposes.
> Highway call boxes often use mile marker or milestone reference to
> determine location of incident.  US highways have milemarker signage every
> mile to assist with this purpose.  Utilizing it in address finding
> throughout the world is a needed tag in my opinion.
>
> Aaron

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand