[Tagging] Tagging meadow orchards

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:10:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, 16:18 Tom Pfeifer, <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> I reviewed the thread and found the most convincing argument that the
> subtagging solution is already
> the preferred tagging in 2787 cases (according to overpass, most of them
> in Germany). It helps to
> prevent tag fragmentation and will not lead to crying how to render it. I
> also think it is the best
> option semantically.
>
> This contrasts 48 cases of landuse=meadow_orchard, only in DE and CH.

While orchard=meadow_orchard is the most used way of tagging a meadow
orchard (2 748 uses), there are also 668 uses of the other subtag
meadow=meadow_orchard. That means that people don't agree that the orchard
is more important than the meadow.

Compared to landuse=meadow_orchard (48 uses), the two subtags certainly
only have such a high usage because they render, while
landuse=meadow_orchard doesn't.

In my opinion, high usage doesn't guarantee that the tagging is sensible.

Markus