[Tagging] railway crossings with cycleways

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 02:52:49 UTC 2019

On 05/10/19 09:58, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:58 AM Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     sent from a phone
>

>     The wiki defines railway=level_crossing as a crossing of rails and
>     a road, while railway=crossing is for a pedestrian crossing of
>     railway tracks. What about cycleways?
>
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Arailway%3Dlevel_crossing
>
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dcrossing
>

> I'm strongly inclined to consider a cycleway a road, not a footway.

I think the majority of legal entities consider a bicycle a legal
vehicle so it may make sense to use the same crossing type as for other
vehicles.

Having said that .. I don't think there would be many bicycle specific
crossings?
Most would be at the same place as other vehicles cross so that they
would use the same infrastructure.