[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Phone)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 8 13:40:34 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-08 13:25, Valor Naram wrote:

> A short summary of what we have so far:
> - Deprecation of `contact:phone` has some advantages: Key `phone` is used far more often, Key `phone` is shorter to write and better to find in word completion functions of editors like iD, Data users don't have to support two methods of tagging phone numbers.
> - Deprecation of `contact:phone` has one disadvantage: It's not grouped anymore and we have to solve this by creating a new wikipage which lists all keys that can be used for contacting purposes (e.g. throw a contact tab like the Babykarte has).

Has it therefore been determined that phone=* and contact:phone=* are
100% synonymous, and no subtle semantic differences exist between the
two? In that case it makes perfect sense to consolidate onto one or the
other. But if there are any perceived semantic differences, however
subtle, then either we find some way to represent that using other
tagging, or we accept that a certain nuance will be lost.