[Tagging] How to map Irish pubs?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Oct 8 22:04:29 UTC 2019

On 10/8/2019 4:37 PM, Rory McCann wrote:
> What's the best way to tag an Irish pub? Not just a pub in Ireland, but
> a specifically themed "Irish Pub" (which are usually outside Ireland)?
>
> There's ~300 instances of `cuisine=irish`, which would make total sense
> for places which (also) serve food. Traditionally pubs in Ireland would
> rarely serve food. Calling Tayto's “cuisine” is a stretch, and using the
> `cuisine` tag seems weird for a bar/pub that doesn't serve any food.
>
> I've used `theme=irish` once or twice. But I don't think anyone else
> does, and it's not supported. This might be related to mapping “sports
> bars” or other themed bars. In theory the `theme` of a restaurant/bar
> could be different from the `cuisine` of any food/drink it serves, so it
> might make sense to tag this difference.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Rory -- I've mapped plenty of "Irish" pubs, mainly in NYC. It's never
occurred to me that they need to be tagged as Irish -- but now I find
myself wondering "How many Irish pubs have I mapped?" and because
there's no tag for it, I have no way to query for it!

I generally use `cuisine=pub` if they serve typical pub fare, which most
here do. I don't tend to see much difference between the food served at
a nominally Irish pub and a nominally English pub. For a place that only
serves packaged food like crisps, I'd usually tag `cuisine=snack`.

I think the idea of `theme=irish` makes some sense, and in fact there
are many other themed amenities that could be tagged with a `theme=*`
key. It's uncommon now, but if it becomes popular it might be picked up
by software. Until then, of course, it will only be noticed by users who
write queries or manually inspect the tags.

In the mean time you can try something simple like `description=Irish
pub` or even `description=Irish pub with Guinness, Smithwick's, and
Tayto's`.

Happy mapping, Jason