[Tagging] How to map Irish pubs?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 22:20:49 UTC 2019

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 08:06, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/2019 4:37 PM, Rory McCann wrote:
>
> What's the best way to tag an Irish pub? Not just a pub in Ireland, but
> a specifically themed "Irish Pub" (which are usually outside Ireland)?
>
> I think the idea of `theme=irish` makes some sense, and in fact there are
> many other themed amenities that could be tagged with a `theme=*` key. It's
> uncommon now, but if it becomes popular it might be picked up by software.
> Until then, of course, it will only be noticed by users who write queries
> or manually inspect the tags.
>
> In the mean time you can try something simple like `description=Irish pub`
> or even `description=Irish pub with Guinness, Smithwick's, and Tayto's`.

I was wondering about the same thing, because you've then also got Country
& Western, German, any & all varieties of Gay ... ?

Bit of an awkward one, but there are pub's in Northern & Inland Australia
that white people are NOT welcome in (& I'm absolutely certain that the
same thing, & reverse, applies in many places). Is that something that we
could / should list against OSM pubs?

Thanks

Graeme