[Tagging] How to map Irish pubs?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Oct 8 22:45:24 UTC 2019

On 10/8/2019 6:20 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I was wondering about the same thing, because you've then also got
> Country & Western, German, any & all varieties of Gay ... ?
>
> Bit of an awkward one, but there are pub's in Northern & Inland
> Australia that white people are NOT welcome in (& I'm absolutely
> certain that the same thing, & reverse, applies in many places). Is
> that something that we could / should list against OSM pubs?

Other common themes are Polynesian (tiki bar), speakeasy, surfing,
medical... plenty more out there I imagine. There's one bar in NYC
that's themed around smashing appliances with bats.

For gay bars there's a well-established `lgbtq=*` key.

Personally I wouldn't consider ethnic restrictions to be a "theme."
Certainly a tagging scheme to codify the world's various local ethnic
restrictions could be developed, but the topic leaves a bad taste in my
mouth so I'm not inclined to make suggestions.

Jason