[Tagging] New tag proposal: 'add=milestone'

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 9 06:59:00 UTC 2019

I would just like to make a point about mileages/kilometrages.
Physically marked positions (e.g. a milestone or a sign with an address)
can not be replaced by, or derived from, the actual distance along the
road.

These distances are not constant. Roads get diverted, split, recombined
etc which can change the distance AND the zero-point. If you follow the
hectometer (100m) markers on motorways in the Netherlands you will see
loads of discontinuities caused by changes through the years.
Occasionally, where a change makes a road longer, a whole segment is
"recalibrated" to avoid duplicate markers or gaps. Where a road is made
shorter, a "jump" in the values is used.