[Tagging] railway crossings with cycleways

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Oct 11 07:27:50 UTC 2019

I think it depends on the country - most cycling roads in Japan “end” and dump you into a sidewalk to cross rail crossings - otherwise they either avoid the grade crossing or end and put you into regular road traffic to use the road’s grade crossing. they are basically 1-2km long sections of cycleway that constantly “end" and you either join the road traffic (as a car) or use pedestrian routes (crosswalks, sidewalks) to get around obstacles (like railways or crossing a road with an island or similar).

The official documentation for this cycling road details the “detour” on the regular roads to use the car’s grade crossing because they don’t want a cycle grade crossing.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.29001/139.36018&layers=C

you can see the detour in blue on the map
http://www.kendoseibi.pref.gunma.jp/section/dourokikaku/hp/download/05hebi1.pdf <http://www.kendoseibi.pref.gunma.jp/section/dourokikaku/hp/download/05hebi1.pdf>

I’m sure there is a dedicated “cycleway grade crossing” somewhere in Japan, but in the few hundred KM of cycleways I have ridden, I have never seen one. most non-motorcar grade crossings are for peds or for tractors.

But I’m also sure there are countries with hundreds of dedicated cycleway crossings.

Perhaps a separate “cycleway grade crossing” is appropriate  - iD recently started supporting cycleway crossings. Perhaps this tag is also needed.

But please remember that the basic premise that a cyclist is a variant of pedestrian is the idea for a lot of cycling infrastructure around the world, and making a cycleway crossing a “road” crossing rather than a “path” crossing would be considered bad mapping in a lot of places.

Please consider this when coming up with a solution to this problem.

Javbw