[Tagging] Cycling relation misuse

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 08:57:14 UTC 2019

On 11/10/19 18:04, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
> Questions about using cycle relations properly:
>
> I am mapping and repairing cycle roads in the Kanto/Tokyo area. There
> are a lot of designated cycling roads that follow a long rivers and
> other water features out into the countryside, making up a regional
> system, and a lot of smaller local cycling roads (also along small
> rivers) that connect neighborhoods and towns together.
> example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3218181
>
> I’m working to get all the individual ways of the cycle roads into
> relations and to properly classify these (local/regional, etc).
>
> But on the cycling layer of OSM, I find regular roads labeled as cycle
> routes: mountain roads where professional cyclists like to exercise
> labeled as a “cycling route”, which seems like “mapping for the renderer”.
>
> example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8066243
>
> - They don’t seem to be cycling roads - all the relation members are
> trunk roads or similar - no cycleways whatsoever.

There is no requirement for a cycle route to use cycleways, even in part.

> -they are dangerous routes with no side-paths, sidewalks, or dedicated
> cycle lanes - just regular roads.
>
> - they are exercise loops or hill climbs for pro cyclistsand serve no
> purpose for travelers or commuters.

Never the less they could be seen as cycle routes - frequently used by
cyclists?

> - they are not, AFAIK, part of an official “cycling network”. The
> Super-relation someone has added all cycle routes to (
> 関東地方サイクリングロード・ネットワーク ).
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8051094 also seems to be
> made-up and not official either - the name only returns one result
> (the OSM data page) when searched.
>

> To me, these non-cycle routes are just garbage relations meant to have
> the route show up on the cycling view of OSM for people doing workouts.

I have had a commuting cyclist map into OSM cycling lanes .. that are
not there, shared paths that are not shared.. I would much rather that
were mapped as routes showing the actual infrastructure that is there.

> I want to delete these fake “mountain workout” relations that should
> be mapped in strava or a similar workout app.

If the route shows that regular roads are used .. possibly use the
description key to state the nature of the route?