[Tagging] Divided highways, and not so divided highways, one way or two

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:48:33 UTC 2019

Am Fr., 11. Okt. 2019 um 12:39 Uhr schrieb Snusmumriken <
snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com>:

> Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that legal separation MUST lead to
> way separation. Just that a rule that wouldn't allow it would be a very
> bad rule. What makes most sense based upon the ground truth should be
> followed.

generally, in OSM the ways highway=* represent the carriageway. "legal
separations" often are just lane markings, i.e. they do not constitute a
carriageway, hence are not to be mapped individually each with their way.
We have generally followed this definition, and if we were to change it, we
should have good reasons. If the only reason is that we need fewer turn
restrictions, then I believe we should find a better workaround than giving
up the carriageway=highway definition.

Cheers,
Martin