[Tagging] Cycling relation misuse

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 09:35:46 UTC 2019

On 12/10/19 20:13, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemeD.net> wrote:
>
> A new route_type= tag on the relation would be a
> good way to go.
>
> Route=
> cycle_touring
> road_touring
> cyclist
> road_cyclist
> road_cycling
>
>   ?
>
> I think the word “race” should be left out, unless it is for mapping actual racing routes.

Cycling can be left off - already in the network tag.

Not 'type' - says nothing.

'road' would be ? Narrow tyres?

mtbs we already have .. but

commuter - local commuter routes to/from shops, transport hubs

touring - longer distance routes

fitness/exorcise - for the locals

scenic/cafe - for local meetings?

Some of the routes around me are well sign posted .. others are not so well done.
Some local council issue maps .. some of these routes are usefull others are dreaming.

In some parts of the world there are no marked 'cycling routes' yet cyclists travel from one point to another using roads/tracks and paths that most motor vehicle don't.. it would be nice if these could be mapped in OSM as there is usually no other source.

I don't think a requirement that bicycle routes must have signage fits the entire world.