[Tagging] Cycling relation misuse

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 07:28:43 UTC 2019

brad:

> There are several variations and gpx tracks available on the net for the
> great divide route.   There are also many websites which discuss the route
> and show maps.   It's in the public domain.

I've looked at the info for the Great Divide MTB-trail without any prior
knowledge.
On the one hand I think, if there's nothing on de ground don't map it.
On the other hand, if it's a fixed and well kept trail known to all, I
imagine mtb maps showing all kinds of mtb-trails except The Big One that
everybody knows. If I were an MTB'ist, I would probably disxcard OSM as
unusable, because it doesn't even give the biggest MTB-route on the planet!

I would hope that there are some things along the track dedicated to the
route. A "start here" sign, parking space for starting a section,
arrangement of stones, sticks, adaptations e.g. to make a crossing
possible, anything that shows it's a route. I can't imagine there are no
visible signs of a trail at all.
Then that would be my excuse to map it!