[Tagging] Removal of rendering for waterway=wadi

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 07:41:58 UTC 2019

> If it is a valley, wouldn’t there be water at some time, even if very rarely?

Off the top of my head, there are at least 3 types of valleys that
never contain running water:

1) Valleys in karst formations, where all surface water disappears
into cracks or holes in the limestone and flows underground. There are
several moderately large valleys like this near me, where there is no
visible surface watercourse, even though my area receives over 200cm
of rain a year.

2) Valleys in cold climates where the temperature never is above 0
degrees. There are a number of dry valleys in Antartica like this, as
well as in some high-elevation Alpine areas.

3) Valleys in very dry climates, where there is never sufficient rain
for surface flow of water. The deserts in southern Peru and northern
Chile are like this. Many small valleys there are formed by wind or
motion of fault lines or plate tectonics, not by flowing water.

(In most dialects of Arabic, the word "wadi" وَادِي‎ means "valley",
not necessarily a dry watercourse as in English.)