[Tagging] Removal of rendering for waterway=wadi

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 08:33:02 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 14. Okt. 2019 um 09:43 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> > If it is a valley, wouldn’t there be water at some time, even if very
> rarely?
>
> Off the top of my head, there are at least 3 types of valleys that
> never contain running water:
>
> 1) Valleys in karst formations, where all surface water disappears
> into cracks or holes in the limestone and flows underground. There are
> several moderately large valleys like this near me, where there is no
> visible surface watercourse, even though my area receives over 200cm
> of rain a year.
>
> 2) Valleys in cold climates where the temperature never is above 0
> degrees. There are a number of dry valleys in Antartica like this, as
> well as in some high-elevation Alpine areas.
>
> 3) Valleys in very dry climates, where there is never sufficient rain
> for surface flow of water. The deserts in southern Peru and northern
> Chile are like this. Many small valleys there are formed by wind or
> motion of fault lines or plate tectonics, not by flowing water.

right, there are some exceptional cases. Maybe the waterway=wadi tag still
applies to some of them, for example wikip.en explains that water in wadis
may be ephemeral or sub-surface:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi

> (In most dialects of Arabic, the word "wadi" وَادِي‎ means "valley",
> not necessarily a dry watercourse as in English.)

yes, but the tag is waterway=wadi, so there is a reference to watercourse.
It doesn't mean that there must be water at every time of course.

Cheers
Martin