[Tagging] Cycling relation misuse

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Oct 14 08:43:07 UTC 2019

brad wrote:
> There are several variations and gpx tracks available on the net for
> the great divide route.   There are also many websites which
> discuss the route and show maps.   It's in the public domain.

It is only "public domain" (US usage) if the creators have disclaimed all
copyright in it, or if it's not eligible for copyright protection. I'm not
aware of the Adventure Cycling Association doing the former, or any US case
law for the latter. (But my knowledge of US case law is very imperfect, so
if you could point to either, that'd be helpful!)

"It's on lots of websites" does not mean something is free of copyright.
There are plenty of places where you can download cracked versions of Adobe
Photoshop but I'm pretty sure that's still copyrighted. :)

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html