[Tagging] How to tag pedestrian lanes?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Oct 20 06:39:14 UTC 2019

> On Oct 20, 2019, at 4:44 AM, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However i think that a sidewalk requires a physical separation to the
> roadway

I agree with you, and I tag all separated standard sidewalks as “sidewalks” (iD preset).

however, there are a lot of narrow roads in Japan where the side of the road (between the white lane border line and the barrier wall along the road) is painted with a (thin) green stripe, and is considered a pedestrian path - usually around schools where children walk. The infrastructure in the area is very old, and they cannot widen the roads to be safer, so they paint the green line on to remind drivers to be safe and keep the pedestrians on one side. this is only around schools with narrow roads. New roads all have separated sidewalks, so no painted area is necessary.

I tag the green line as a highway=path and add a note=* to the way.

One example I have seen is much larger, and is a new “lane” created by converting a 2-way road to 1-way and giving the margin to pedestrians.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/667338935 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/667338935>.

I do not think this is ideal, but it does properly map the marking and the routing that should be used for pedestrians. usually many roads in the area are narrow, and the designated way is best.

If some method is standardized, I will correct my mapping.

Note: these are not the blue cycle-lanes or cycle arrows in the road found on many narrow high traffic roads.

Javbw