[Tagging] How to tag pedestrian lanes?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 11:28:07 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 21. Okt. 2019 um 12:15 Uhr schrieb Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de
>:

> Shoulders are a common feature on many roads. And the tagging for this is
> already established. Maybe a different way to tag kerb-less sidewalks thus
> would then be
>
> shoulder=right
> shoulder:right:access=foot
> (or access no and ...:foot=designated?)
> shoulder:right:width=1

I would be careful with adding a generic access=no to shoulders, because
special types of vehicles or in certain conditions often are allowed to go
on the shoulder (e.g. bicycles).
The foot=designated tag as a lane tag makes sense (differentiation between
shoulders with general access for pedestrians vs. shoulders dedicated to
pedestrians. For the swiss example, vehicles are allowed to drive on the
lane anyway (which makes it less a "shoulder" I guess).

Cheers,
Martin