[Tagging] Deprecating mini_roundabout

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 13:56:06 UTC 2019

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 14:35, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK the traffic regulations are:
> 1. You should *avoid* doing a U-turn at a mini roundabout because there
> isn't much room to turn in, and people might not be expecting it. You are
> still allowed to do so.
> 2. *only* drivers of long/large vehicles may only drive over it. Everyone
> else has to drive round the roundabout as usual

Highway code rule 188:

> *Mini-roundabouts.* Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts.
> All vehicles *MUST* pass round the central markings except large vehicles
> which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space
> to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at
> mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.
> *Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)*
>

> Point 1 should affect routers to discourage them from suggesting a u-turn,
> but not prohibit it.

Depends how you interpret "avoid."  I am not a lawyer.  If I wrote a
router, I'd err on the
side of caution here: don't suggest a U turn as a feasible route, don't
allow a user to enter
a route with such a U turn.

I believe the same would be true for any country.

Countries have their own legislation.  Poland apparently has things that
look like mini
roundabouts but follow the regulations of "ordinary" roundabouts.

Therefore, it is worth knowing whether it is a mini or standard roundabout.

Absolutely.

--
Paul