[Tagging] Billboard or something else

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Oct 30 13:17:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 05:55 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Mi., 30. Okt. 2019 um 11:02 Uhr schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>> > these aren’t traffic signs, a common, although underspecified tag is
>> man_made=gantry (subtagging the type of gantry could make sense)
>> >
>> The gantry is the support structure.
>>

> I am aware of this
>

>> The sign can display various messages - so variable message fits.
>>

> +1
>

>> Traffic sign also fits - the travelling time to another place reflects
>> the traffic density, and vehicle crashes are traffic warnings ..
>>

> I agree this is more complicated than what I thought, because according to
> the Vienna Convention on traffic, Annexe 1, information signs are a kind of
> traffic sign.

Heck, Oregon has replaced a number of overhead signs with video panels.
When not displaying incidental information, they show the original sign
they replaced, though with some added flair.  Last time I was up in Oregon,
on OR 217 a number of speed limit signs had been replaced with video
displays showing a speed limit and advised speed, and signs displaying
distance to next exit were replaced with video displays that were cycling
the miles distance display to also show kilometers (or meters for distances
of 1500m or less) and average travel times.

I think we're seeing the future with this, and the future is boring.