[Tagging] Adding leisure=sports_hall to leisure=sports_centre page

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Sep 6 11:47:15 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 23:29, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 03:08, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net
> <mailto:osm at raggedred.net>> wrote:
>
>     It's a sports hall I think because it is marked out for various
>     indoor sports,e.g. badminton, volley ball,
>     5-a-side football etc, with curtains or nets to separate courts when
>     needed.
>

> Thanks, Chris, that's what I was remembering from schools in
> Australia, but they weren't called a sports hall - usually Assembly
> Hall, as that's where the School assembles to be addressed by the
> principal.
>
> Wouldn't that description still match the definition that Joseph
> quoted above though - "sports_centre: "a distinct facility where
> sports take place within an enclosed area" - which then specifically
> mentions "it can be a building"."?

To me a sports centre is a place that's dedicated to sport in its own
space or grounds. It may have outdoor pitches,courts etc as well as
indoor provisions. I think it could have a gym, i.e. a space with gym
equipment too.

A sports hall, to me, is a building in an environment that is not wholly
about sports,so a building in school grounds or in a business complex.
It has more than just a gym room.

This is just my interpretation and I don't think agonising over precise
meanings is that useful. I am, however strongly against homogenising the
database. If someone describes a place as a sports hall I am strongly
against someone overwriting that as a sports centre when they have no
local knowledge, but just want to impose a structure to the data that
doesn't actually exist. We are describing the real world which is messy,
has contradictions and inconsistencies and which we will never ever get
right with homogenous lists and restrictions. I say there as sports
halls and sports centres and there is easily room for both.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)