[Tagging] Adding leisure=sports_hall to leisure=sports_centre page

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 13:40:02 UTC 2019

On 07/09/2019 01:33, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Re: > "My UK school had both a gym and a sports hall."
>
> What was the difference between the two? Was the gym like a "fitness
> centre" for weight training, perhaps? In US English we tend to use
> "gym" for what seems to be a "sports hall" in some dialects, and also
> for "weight lifting gyms" and "fitness centres" full of exercise
> equipment.

The sports hall was a big echoy place with a concrete floor, on which
lines were painted in different colours for different sports. You'd use
the whole space for a game of five-a-side football (soccer) or
basketball, or else there was room for three or four badminton courts to
be set up next to each other. Table-tennis tables could also be wheeled
out, I think.

The gym(nasium) was much smaller, shiny wooden floor, equipped with
things like a vaulting horse, parallel bars, wall bars and hanging ropes
for climbing, and there were things like medicine balls and bean bags
for exercising, rubber mats to put down on the floor etc. Basically for
gymnastics and general physical exercise, rather than sports as such. No
exercise *machines* back then, but I see from the school's website that
has changed a bit:
https://0e58658be539ee7325a0-220f04f871df648cf4a4d93a111e3366.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/williamson/uploads/asset_image/2_477_e.jpg

--
Steve