[Tagging] Populated settlement classification

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 7 17:22:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-07 19:04, Paul Allen wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 17:37, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 2019-09-07 18:17, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> Some
> large towns have taken to calling themselves cities even though they do not have a royal
> charter awarding them that status.
>
> Got any examples of this?

My crappy memory doesn't remember the names, or even where I read of it.
 But I did dig
up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford_City and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_City,_London
even though they don't ring any bells as being ones I read about.
There's also Rochester,
which used to be a city but no longer is because the unitary authority
cocked up.  And St
David's, which was a city, then wasn't a city, and is back to being a
city again, even though
it has a population of 2,000 and is really just a small town by OSM
standards and by
just about anybody else's standards.

Aah, I thought you were implying that some places were wilfully
misrepresenting themselves for "marketing" reasons!

There are also modern cities like Brighton and Hove which aren't a
single place but an agglomeration.