[Tagging] Populated settlement classification

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 18:25:35 UTC 2019

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 18:23, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

Aah, I thought you were implying that some places were wilfully
> misrepresenting themselves for "marketing" reasons!

That's actually how I remembered it.  But now you've prodded my memory, I
think what I
actually read was that there are a number of not-cities where the
inhabitants refer to
them as cities, even though the places themselves don't abuse the term.

> There are also modern cities like Brighton and Hove which aren't a single
> place but an agglomeration.

According to two different wikipedia articles on UK cities, there are
several weird cities like
that.

All of which contrasts with US usage where it appears that any settlement
of any size
can style itself a city.

--
Paul