[Tagging] Open Defecation Areas

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 22:40:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 04:09, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 18:48, Bob Kerr via Tagging <
> tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> I did consider using the toilet tag, unfortunately there is no toilet and
>> it would give the area a feeling of respectability. If it is piled high
>> with plastic bags, assorted rubbish and human piss and shit then it is more
>> a sign that they need a toilet. It would definitely need a different
>> symbol. I was thinking of a squatting man symbol
>>

> True.  I'd hate to go to what the map led me to believe was a public
> toilet and find it was
> actually one of these things.

"Slightly" tongue in cheek, but render the area in a light - mid brown
colour, with a regular pattern of
https://www.flaticon.com/free-icons/poop icons
across it (similar to dog-parks, forested areas & so on) ? :-)

>>  Maybe “landuse=open_defecation_area” would be more appropriate but that
>> may interfere with other land use tags.
>>

> Not really a problem.  Turn the existing landuse=whatever into the outer
> of a multipolygon
> and add landuse=open_defecation_area as an inner of the multipolygon.
> It's not that hard
> to do, especially as iD has made it a lot easier to cut and paste tags
> between objects.

Would it need a multipolygon? My impression of the ODA is an open patch of
ground in / beside a residential area. If that is the case, wouldn't it be
much simpler to just mark a new area in as landuse=o_d_a? (accept it
wouldn't be abbreviated)

Thanks

Graeme