[Tagging] Tourist bus stop

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 23:32:40 UTC 2019

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 23:56, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am honestly confused by the discussions about types and features of
> buses.

Join the club. :)

Are these relevant in the mapping context?

Yes.  That's how this whole thread started.  Somebody wanting to map places
where
coaches stop to let people on and off.  Which are sometimes for coaches
alone but
some may be shared with buses.

> Are there any road regulations referring specifically to coaches?

I have no idea.  It would be a long search to find out, and if you found
nothing you
still couldn't be sure you hadn't missed something.

Because there are for buses. Not just buses in public service, but buses
> intended as a kind of vehicle (in all places I know, this includes coaches
> and small buses with more than 9 seats).

Even though there may be no generic legislation there may be specific
signage.  Access
for buses only would (I surmise) exclude coaches because the buses are
permitted in order
to allow passengers to board/alight along that bit of highway whereas
coaches would be
using it merely as a short-cut from A to B.  Pedestrianized inner cities
areas may allow
buses along some roads that all other traffic is excluded from (except for
delivery vehicles
outside shopping hours).  I have seen video of a rising bollard that dropped
to allow a bus through and then rose to block the car following the bus:
presumably a coach
would also be blocked because it wouldn't broadcast a valid ID.  See
https://youtu.be/4wT7zM8XgXQ?t=189

We do need to keep coaches and buses separate.  And realize that coaches
(whether chartered,
for holidays or for day trips) are not the same thing as tourist/tour buses
(which are probably in yet
another category for stops and road access).

Oh, and please forget that motorbus ever existed.  Motorcycle is in common
use (more
usually motorbike) to distinguish it from an ordinary bicycle.  Motorcar is
quaint and
old-fashioned and people would wonder why you said motorcar rather than
just car
but would know what you meant.   Motorbus is so antiquated that people
would wonder
what you were talking about and ask if you meant a bus.

--
Paul