[Tagging] Tagging meadow orchards

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:41:28 UTC 2019

Am Do., 19. Sept. 2019 um 09:18 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 00:33, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I agree the term silvopasture is not a synonym for meadow orchards. A
>> meadow orchard is specifically low density/sparse trees, while silvopasture
>> indicates a forest/woodland, i.e. denser tree cover.
>>

> Really?  I don't see anything in the Wikipedia article that specifies the
> tree cover is dense.

I didn't write it was "dense", I wrote it was "denser", compared to a
meadow orchard.

> In
> fact, it says: "Integrating pasture into existing woodland presents
> challenges as well: the woodland
> likely needs to be thinned to increase light infiltration"  It also has
> pictures of several different
> silvopastures, none of which appear to have dense tree cover throughout.

it is using the term "woodland". For meadow orchards, I would use the term
"meadow" with trees on it. The term "silvo" also is about a "forest"/woods.
Can you see the difference?

> Also the meadow in meadow orchard can be used for either pasture or
>> cutting the grass, while silvopasture implies pasture.
>>

> The trees scattered throughout would make it more economic to put animals
> out to pasture on
> it than to mow it.  But maybe where you are people do things the least
> efficient way.  Even if
> that is the case, I doubt that would remain viable for much longer.
>
> BTW, we're probably fooling ourselves in many cases where we say a field
> is pasture or
> meadow: it may change from year to year.

places in southern Germany used for pasture are often in environments where
(mechanically) cutting the grass is not feasible, due to steep terrain, or
where mowing does not make a lot of sense because the soil is quite magre.
My point was that "silvopasture" has different connotations, it is about
(some kind of) forest with animals grazing below, while meadow orchards is
about meadows with sparse (fruit) trees on them (or sparse orchards on a
meadow, if you like to put it the other way round). Silvopasture requires
pasture, meadow orchards don't.

Cheers,
Martin