[Tagging] Default values for surface by road category and country

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 08:33:37 UTC 2019

On 23/09/2019 09:14, Volker Schmidt wrote:

>         every mapper can set his own, as you doe and I do, but this
>         means that a router has to second guess what people think is
>         standard use in different countries.
>
>     That is exactly how it works.
>     In general, tagging surface is almost
>     always good idea or at least nice to do.
>
> But this very unsatisfactory for routing. Two examples:
> If I hire a rental car in the US, the contract ays, that I cannot use
> unpaved roads.
> If I useĀ  bicycle anywhere I would like to be able to instruct my
> router to avoid unpaved roads.

Ultimately, where information is missing, you as a data consumer will
need to make a decision about whether or not a road is likely to be
paved or not.

Adding a default (even per-country) won't magically make all
non-surface-tagged roads paved or unpaved, and where data has come from
import (e.g. TIGER in the US) or imagery (e.g. many places in Africa,
Australia, etc.*) it isn't always possible to tell what the surface is
when first adding to OSM.

Best Regards,

Andy

* and also some areas in the UK, where data was taken from OS OpenData
before imagery/surveys were available -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.8724/-1.1287 being one such
example.