[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Phone)

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sat Sep 28 09:48:08 UTC 2019

I disagree with this idea that we must remove similar tags for the sake
of it.

Anyone who actually uses OSM data (rather than people who just imagine
using it) know that there are many steps and choices to make to achieve
the end result. Often this involves combining data with various tags
that fit the requirements of the analysis, render, routing or whatever,
so combining data from similar tags is normal, not hard to do and once
done is repeatable over and over. It is not awful to have two tags for a
/similar/ purpose at all.

Removing seemingly similar tags and so homogenising the OSM database is
a very risky path to take. We risk removing subtlety and obscuring
mappers' real intent. The world we live in and try to represent with map
data is a muddled, mixed-up, jumble of human-made stuff that includes
many contradictions and minutely different things. One great strength of
OSM tagging is that mappers can find ways to represent this. If we march
down the homogenisation highway much of that strength will be lost.

I oppose deprecating contact:phone=*

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)