[Tagging] Rarely verified and third-party data staleness in OpenStreetMap

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:25:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 16:10, European Water Project <
europeanwaterproject at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >>>> in OSM is hard.  Not just technically hard, but "overcoming all the
> people
>
> Can we focus our discussions to the technical aspects of different
> solutions for storing key level last updated meta data date for the year
> and month?

This was already addressed by Frederick.  It's technically hard.  There
have been
many discussions over the years which have come to nothing because it's
technically hard.  He explained why it's technically hard.

>   Unless we can develop a viable technical solution which has demonstrable
> benefits for data quality, the issue of being able to win over a large
> consensus of OSM users is moot.

Some of those objecting are doing so because they've been round this loop
several times before and concluded that it is technically hard.  Others are
objecting
because it taints their idea about "purity" or some such.

The fact is that the best reporting mechanism you have is people using your
app to find a refill point then reporting it is closed.  It's not just the
best you
have, it's the best you're going to have.  Because people are unlikely to
interact with your app once they have their water.  Most will only ever
interact to report a refill point is defunct and will do so because they're
annoyed.  Expecting mappers to wander around checking refill points
is expecting far too much.  Expecting people looking for refill points
to tap a "this place still does refills" is expecting far too much.

Any proposal that ignores how human beings operate is doomed to
failure.

--
Paul