[Tagging] Too many different features lumped together under amenity=social_facility?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:26:19 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 13:54, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> social_facility=ambulatory_care - "An office for workers who support
> the living needs of those who can't fully support themselves"
>
> Shouldn't that be "office=ambulatory_care" or something else under
> "office"? Why is an office a social_facility?

Is it just an office where people shuffle paperwork about ambulatory care
or a place where ambulatory care is provided?  I see a distinction.  But
if ambulatory care is provided then it should be under healthcare as an
outpatient facility.

> =outreach "A non-residential facility that provides social welfare
> services such as advocacy, counseling, job placement, veterans
> services, housing placement, wellness programs, leisure activities." -
> Also not residential, not for people who require supervision. This
> should be a different tag.

Office if it's just paperwork and clients visiting the office.

"social_facility=workshop" "A non-residential work facility that
> primarily employs people with disabilities. Also includes workshops
> for rehabilitating or juvenile offenders." - This should be tagged as
> whatevery kind of "craft=" or other tag is appropriate for the
> workplace. If they make furniture, it should be craft=furniture. It's
> very strange to tag this the same as a group home or hospice.

Is it or is it not a social facility within the broad meaning of the term?
I'd say that it is.  It's a facility.  It's social (in both meanings: people
interact socially and it is a social service).  See, for example,
https://hutsworkshop.org/about-us  A quote from
https://hutsworkshop.org/huts-workshop

we provide opportunities for exploration and support in all manner of arts
and crafts, including pottery, woodwork, jewellery making, painting,
sewing, weaving and needlework. We also offer support and learning
opportunities in IT and basic cooking skills. We run regular trips to local
venues and activities to widen experiences and offer inspiration for
creativity.

So more than one craft (a lot more) plus things other than crafts.

=clothing_bank/food_bank/soup_kitchen/dairy_kitchen - facility that
> distributes clothing/food/meals for cheap/free for poor people. These
> are clearly "social services" in the Western cultural sense, but I
> think it would make much more sense to tag these differently than a
> residential group home or hospice or nursing home.

Yep.  Maybe amenity=social_services.  And maybe the workshop above would
then fit under that but I'd argue that since it provides a measure of day
care
it may be better where it is.  I don't think staying overnight is a
necessary
precondition of a social facility, but some sort of supervision for hours
does.  A soup kitchen is unsupervised (in the social services sense).

--
Paul