[Tagging] Too many different features lumped together under amenity=social_facility?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:40:52 UTC 2020

Looking more into this, I think the problem is with the residential /
inpatient facilities.

While social_facility=hospice was documented a few years ago,
amenity=hospice was much older, and healthcare=hospice is several
times more common now even though it was not documented. A hospice is
a palliative care facility or service for patients who are terminally
ill, and it is certainly a healthcare facility, so I would support
using amenity= or healthcare= hospice.

Also, amenity=nursing_home is still more common than
social_facility=nursing_home. At least in the USA, a real "nursing
home" is a "skilled nursing facility" with RNs always on staff, who
supervise patients getting their medications and physical therapy
treatment etc - it's sometimes a step-down from a hospital, sometimes
long-term care when you don't really need a full hospital. It's more
healthcare than social. While there are non-medical "nursing homes",
these are under "assisted_living" or "group_home".

I would suggest deprecating social_facility=hospice, and I'm also not
convinced that social_facility=nursing_home is better than
amenity=nursing_home.

-- Joseph Eisenberg