[Tagging] Implied default access tags for barrier=stile?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Apr 26 21:15:20 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 26 April 2020, s8evq wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Are any default access tags implied with barrier=stile?
> Similar to barrier=bollard (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dbollard mentions
> "By default access=no, foot=yes, and bicycle=yes is implied")
>
> If it's on highway=footway, is foot=yes still needed on the barrier?
>
> What if the barrier is on a highway=footway + bicycle=yes? Should the barrier itself have foot=yes, bicycle=no or bicycle=dismount ?

A stile should not exist on a way on which it is legal to ride a bike, unless as often happens on bridleways there is a stile beside a gate to save walkers having to open and close the gate.

It would certainly make me question the validity of the bicycle=yes.

More seriously, stiles are also a problem for many walkers with health issues, for this reason many on routes close to settlements are being replaced with kissing gates.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device